Lee County was formed in 1792, from Russell County, and named after Henry Lee, Governor of Virginia from 1791 to 1794. The county lies in the Southwestern angle of the state, bordering on Tennessee and Kentucky. It's greatest length is 75 miles, breadth 10 miles. The Cumberland mountains run on the Kentucky line, the Powell mountains are a part of the Southeast boundary, and there are several other ridges in the county, known as Stone, Chestnut, Wallens, ect. Powell's River runs length wise through the county into Tennessee. Much of the land is of a very black, rich soil. The staples are beef, pork and horses. The people of the county make their own sugar and molasses from the maple sugar tree, which grows in great abundance. Jonesville, the county seat, lies 284 miles from Richmond, 65 from Knoxville, Tens. , and 60 from Barboursyille, Ky., on one of the branches of Powell's river. It stands on a beautiful eminence, in the midst of wild mountain scenery. It was founded in 1793, and contains a church, 5 stores, and about 40 dwellings (1840).
_____________________________A SHORT HISTORY OF JONESVlLLE CAMP GROUND
By James W. Orr
The first Camp-meeting was held, on the present site, in Lee County VA., in the year 1810. The people camped on the grounds and, for several years, Worshipped under a rudely constructed brush arbor. This temporary structure kept off the sun but not the rain. In the year 1824 a permanent shed was built in the center of the grounds and seated with benches made of split logs, and covered with old-fashioned clap boards. The large posts, plates and rafters of this old structure were hewn out of logs Henry Woodward and David Orr did the scoring, and Robert W. Wynn and Joseph Haskue, the Presiding Elder, did the hewing. This old shed still stands, and if properly cared for and preserved will stand for years to come as a lasting monument to the memory of these old servants of God.
On the 23rd day of July, 1831, Elkanah Wynn and Mary Wynn, his wife, conveyed by deed of gift to Henry Thompson, Evans Perry, Robert Perry, Abraham Still, Boyd Dickenson, William Wynn, Champ Hamblen, Isaac Thompson and David Orr, Trustees, a tract of land, consisting of three acres and 102 square poles, and located at and around the old Camp Ground Shed, in Lee County, Virginia about two miles west of the town of Jonesville, so long as it may be used as a place of worship, with free privileges and use of spring for a place of a place of worship for the members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States of America, according to the order and discipline, which from time to time, shall be agreed upon and adopted by the ministers and preachers of said Church at the General Conference in the United States of America.